Chickpea Collard Wraps
- 1½ cups dried chickpeas simmered in abundant water until tender or 1 29-ounce can
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 to 10 large collard leaves
- Drain chickpeas well and crush them roughly with a potato masher or fork, leaving plenty of texture. Stir in remaining ingredients, except collards.
- Take a nibble of your collard leaves to decide if they are tender and mild enough for your taste when raw. If not, a brief steaming before stuffing tames the flavor of the leaves and renders them brighter and more pliable. If you’re iffy about mayonnaise, try substituting the juice of a lemon and 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- With a sharp knife, remove the central stalk of each collard leaf. If opting to steam them, do so on a steamer rack over boiling water for about a minute, or until bright green. Plunge into ice water, drain, and pat dry.
- Lay leaves out flat and scoop chickpea salad onto the center. Tuck in sides and roll up like burritos.