A homestyle favorite. If you should wish to halve the recipe, select an 8 X 8-inch pan. Recipe provided by Cushing Cafe, Hanover MA.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup 8 ounces butter, cold
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons zested and juiced (at least ¼ cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Set the oven to 350 degrees, and find a 13 X 9-inch pan.
- Make the crust. To work by hand, combine the flour and ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar in a medium work bowl. Chop the butter in bits, then cut it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender, a couple butter knives or a chopper, (or, if you have nice cold hands, you can quickly rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips). To use a food processor, put the crust ingredients in it, then whir in the cold butter. Regardless of technology selected, the dough will appear crumbly and powdery.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan, then bake it until very pale golden, about 20 minutes.
- For the filling, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine well, then pour the custard onto the baked crust.
- Return the pan to the hot oven and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until custard is set and very lightly golden.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.
Click here to read about the reopening of Cushing Café!