Pumpkin Bread - Grand Central Bakery Style
- 2 small sugar pumpkins (2-3 pounds each)
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp of each: ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1⅓ cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve pumpkins and scrape out seeds, and place them, cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until darkened and a sharp knife pierces the skin easily, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Allow to cool before scooping out the flesh and passing it through a food mill or sieve. Measure out 2 cups to be used in the bread recipe and reserve the remaining puree for another use.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease and flour two 9” x 5” loaf pans.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice into a bowl; whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugars, and pumpkin puree until uniform and well-blended. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then the water and buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and then divide the batter between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, rotating the pans after 45 minutes. The loaves should be dark golden brown with cracked tops, and a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.