- 2 cups washed dried, trimmed, and diced rhubarb (from about 3 or 4 stalks)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces tequila or to taste
- 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup*
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Lime slice or wedges for garnish, optional
- *Rhubarb simple syrup
- Place rhubarb, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large measuring cup, scraping off bottom of strainer as well. Transfer pulp from strainer to a separate bowl (see cook’s note), cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Store finished syrup, covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, rhubarb simple syrup, lemon and lime juice. Add ice and shake until well combined, about 10 seconds. Taste and adjust as desired. Fill serving glass with ice. Strain mixture into glass, garnish with lime (if using) and serve.
The reserved pulp from making the syrup is the perfect topping for overnight oats (it’s great over ice cream as well).