from Jessica Bradley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 small apple, cored and diced
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup croutons, or lightly toasted nuts, or sunflower seeds
In your salad bowl combine the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Whisk in olive oil, drizzling it in as a fine stream.
Remove tough stems from kale leaves. Wash and dry the leaves, then tenderize them by rubbing them between your hands. Mince leaves finely (if the kale plants were particularly mature, give the minced leaves a brief massage between your fingers, too). Add to dressing in salad bowl.
Add dried cranberries, apple, and goat cheese, and toss. Cover and chill for an hour or so. Toss again, top with croutons or nuts, and serve.
Serves 2 substantially; 4 as a side.