Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Around the end of May keep your eyes open for strawberry signs, and once you see them, don’t hesitate! One delicious way to use them is this strawberry rhubarb crisp! It's the perfect dessert to end spring or start summer and is sure to be loved by all who try it!
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter plus a bit for buttering the dish
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 6-cup capacity baking dish.
- Stir together the sugar and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl. Add the sliced fruit and lemon zest and juice and combine thoroughly. Turn into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and spices. Rub or cut in the butter until the topping resembles coarse sand with pea-sized pieces of butter (you may also do this step with a few quick blasts in the food processor, if you like.) Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until topping is evenly browned and edges are bubbling.
Rhubarb lovers may wish to increase its proportion; consider upping the sugar a bit if you do. There should be five compactly-measured cups of sliced fruit all told. Read more from Jessica Bradley's article on strawberries here!