Kingston Public Library and edible South Shore magazine
South Shore Locavores
The Meat Meeting
April 24, 2012
Books in the Old Colony Library Network: Preparing and Cooking Meat
• Good Meat: the complete guide to sourcing and cooking sustainable meat by Deborah Krasner. 2010.
• The Kosher carnivore: the ultimate meat and poultry cookbook by Jean Hersh. 2011
• Seared to Perfection: the simple art of sealing in flavor by Lucy Vaserfirer. 2010
• Falling off the Bone by Jean Anderson. 2010
• Meat: a kitchen education by James Peterson. 2010
• Primal Cuts: cooking with America’s best butchers by Marissa Guggian. 2010
• The Taste of Tomorrow; dispatches from the future of food by Josh Schonwald. 2012.
• Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: a year of food life by Barbara Kingsolver. 2007.
• The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. 2006.
• In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. 2008.
• The myth of sustainable meat by James E. McWilliams. New York Times, April 12, 2012.
• The problem with factory farms by Claire Suddath. Time Magazine, April 23, 2010.
• How Change Is Going To Come In The Food System by Michael Pollan. The Nation, September 11, 2011.
brownboarfarm.com East Wells, Vermont. “Whole farm” approach to raising heirloom pork, beef and produce.
westelmfarm.com Pembroke, MA. A “micro-eco farm” producing breeding stock, grass-fed lamb and rabbit.
weboflifefarm.com Carver, MA. Poultry (and many other organic, non-meat products)
colchesterneighborhoodfarm.com Moonlight Acre Farm at Colchester Neighborhood Farm. Lamb.
farmfresh.org/food/farm.php?farm=2316 J.H. Beaulieu Livestock and Produce Farm, Fairhaven, MA. Naturally grown field raised beef. USDA inspected cut to specs, blast frozen, and vacuum sealed.
dufortfarms.com Rehoboth, MA. Beef, pork, and turkey (and many other farm products)
eatwild.com Grass-fed food and information, lists local suppliers by state.
buylocalfood.org Community involved in sustaining agriculture.
eatwellguide.org Local, sustainable, organic listings
sustainabletable.org Education, news and issues.