Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ 14.5- ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes and their juices
- ¼ cup light brown sugar or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ to 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce optional (see head note)
- 1 cup washed dried, trimmed, and diced rhubarb (from about 3 or 4 stalks)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes, light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, mustard, ½ teaspoon chipotle in adobo sauce (if using), and rhubarb. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened and rhubarb is softened. Taste and adjust as desired, adding in additional vinegar or light brown sugar as needed. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, puree until smooth with either an immersion blender or a food processor. Cover and keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week.