Vegan Coconut Oil Brownies
If you’re interested in experimenting with oils as egg substitutes in baking, these brownies are worth a try.
- ½ cup coconut oil refined if you prefer no flavor
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup more chocolate chips optional, for folding in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8” x 8” baking pan.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler, add coconut oil and ½ cup chocolate chips, being careful to not add too much oil. Cook until melted and smooth (2 minutes in microwave, then 30 second intervals). Whisk in sugar until it dissolves in warm oil/chocolate mixture. Add milk and vanilla and whisk well to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt to a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Add to chocolate mixture and stir, being careful not to over mix. Stir in additional chocolate chips if using.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes, until the top is crinkly and the edges are beginning to pull away from the sides. Let cool 30 minutes before cutting.