By Elizabeth ThomasCaribbean Potato Salad is a picnic staple on the island of Dominica, the home country of Elizabeth Thomas of Milton who provided this recipe. She was a volunteer at the first Juneteenth event (2022) at the Eustis Estate.
- 1 pound potatoes peel and dice
- 2 or 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup each of peas and diced carrots
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- ½ cup any creamy salad dressing or omit the dressing and add an additional ½ cup mayonnaise teaspoon of olive oil, a dash of vinegar, (salt and pepper to taste)
- Cajun spice to taste
- Salt and pepper
- A sprinkle of paprika optional
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, then add potatoes, cook until tender but still firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Drain water and set potatoes aside to cool.
- Cook peas and carrots until tender.
- When potatoes are cool, add peas and carrots.
- Add chopped hard-boiled eggs to potatoes, peas, and carrots.
- In a separate bowl add chopped onions, mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing or additional mayo mixture, relish, and mix well. Then add to potato mixture.
- If after the mayo mixture or salad dressing is added to the potatoes, it still seems a bit dry, repeat with a bit of salad dressing or mayo mixture.
- Add Cajun spice, salt, and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.